Trade war should not be UK's first response

Trade war should not be UK's first response to tariffs - PM

by - 03-04-2025 | 5:52 PM

(BBC) The UK's first response to US tariffs should not be to jump into a trade war, Prime Minister Keir Starmer has said, as the government braces itself for the announcement of widespread taxes on imports.

US President Donald Trump will set out his plans for fresh levies on goods coming into his country in remarks to be delivered from the White House at 21:00 BST.

The UK government had been hoping to strike a deal that would see the UK dodge tariffs and although talks are ongoing, officials have become increasingly downbeat about the prospect of an agreement before Trump's announcement on Wednesday.

Sir Keir said his government was preparing for all eventualities and would rule nothing out.

The new tariffs will be on top of a 25% levy on car and car parts, already announced by the US president.

Diplomatic efforts are still ongoing, and as part of the efforts to get a deal, Lord Mandelson, the UK ambassador, has had meetings in the White House with JD Vance, the vice-president, and Susie Wiles, the president's chief of staff.